Thing 11: IMing

June 16, 2009

Ah yes...IMing. A wonderful invention! I remember in college my roommate and I would IM each other through AIM....from across the room! And for some reason, it was a blast. IMing is still a blast and I think it's so fantastic that libraries are beginning to use it. I have heard that some of the larger libraries have the option from their site to chat with a librarian. What a terrific way to reach a wider audience.

I like using Google's IMing service through my Gmail account. I usually have Gmail open while I'm online and my friends also online at the same time have a chance to chat. I also use the same feature through Facebook too. That is great too and I have more Facebook friends then I do Gmail friends. On Gmail, my username is Alicia Montgomery. Or you can find me using my Gmail address.

I would love to see more libraries use this great feature then I do now. None of the libraries I frequent have the feature, but they could. The great part about the IM software? FREE! It would be easy to set up an account for a public or school library. Even special libraries could use it! I can see how it would become difficult in a school library to facilitate and keep strictly for library business, but having it available sure would open up the library to kids not comfortable being there.

1 comments:

Todd J. Humble said...

As long as your I.T. dept lets it be used... many block it for potential abuse...

Post a Comment