Thing 13: Tagging

June 23, 2009

I have used tagging through my Delicious page, but have not yet seen it being used in libraries. I can certainly see where that would be useful though. We all know there are rules that govern how libraries are organized, but if patrons were able to do it, wouldn't it make sense that it would be a better system? After all, they are the ones that are using the tags and organization. The only problem of course is that the way I would tag an item may not be the way you would. And now we have chaos.

Maybe I'm a little "old school" but I think there needs to be a standard way to organize a library. Books belong on the shelf in an order in my opinion. Maybe the OPAC could allow for tagging to help users find the materials in the database, but then point them in the direction of the book where it is always shelved. If the OPAC had a place where patrons could tag books they have checked out, and users could search by subject and tag, it would help patrons find what they are searching for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment